Saturday, January 19, 2008

Life is Absurd

Nothing is worthwhile unless it's absurd.

Whatever you're doing in life; it's absurd! I hope...

This past Friday morning I jumped into the pool at about 4:45 for an Ironman training swim. I had been swimming for about a half an hour or so, with my mind pretty much in neutral, when it hit me; this is absurd! Who gets up at 3:50 in the morning so they can get to the gym at 4:30 so they can swim for over an hour in a box of chlorinated water so they can be ready to squeeze into a wetsuit in 5 months so they can jump into a cold lake amid the flailing elbows of 2500 other people so they can then ride 112 miles on a bike so they can then run a marathon! The thought of the whole idea made me laugh. (Which is a trick when you're underwater; beleive me!)

When I got to the end of the pool, two other swimmers were stopped, taking a quick breather between sets. I stopped and said, "You know what? This is absurd!" They both laughed and heartily agreed. After that, my workout was a whole lot more fun.

As you're pondering the absurdity of what you're doing, take a moment to enjoy this video of an absurdly funny comedy act.

Life is absurd! Have fun!

No comments: